Please write letters to Canadian authorities calling for Khaled’s immediate and safe return to Canada. We recommend using the talking points below.
Here is the contact for the Minister of Foreign Affairs:
Robert Nicholson (Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs)
515-S Centre Block
House of Commons
Salutation: Dear Honourable
Also, send your letter to your MP. Look up your MP and his/her contact info here: http://www.parl.gc.ca/ParlInfo/compilations/HouseOfCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC
Please be clear, firm, and courteous. You may use the following talking points:
- Khaled Al-Qazzaz is a Canadian Permanent Resident who was illegally detained by the Egyptian military in 2013 and was held without charge in solitary confinement for 480 days; he was then sent to hospital and released in December, 2014. To date, Khaled has not been charged with any crime and the Egyptian military has not indicated why Khaled was detained in the first place.
- During the detainment, he suffered damage to his spine, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. If this is left untreated Khaled may suffer permanent paralysis. Unfortunately, hospitals in Egypt do not have the facilities required for his treatment. Khaled and his Canadian wife, Sarah Attia, and their four children, would like to fly to Canada immediately so that he can receive the treatment they have arranged through a Canadian hospital.
- Khaled and Sarah and their 4 children have attempted to fly to Canada twice now but have been stopped by Airport Security Services at the Cairo International Airport each time and told to go home. They were not given an explanation as to why they cannot travel.
- Over the last few months Khaled has worked diligently and respectfully to ensure that all his travel documents are in order. Khaled has received confirmations from legal authorities in Egypt that he is cleared from all accusations, not under investigation and is not banned from travel. The family and the legal team had formally notified all relevant authorities with their travel plans and Khaled’s medical arrangements.
- Last time they attempted to travel, on April 16, 2015, the entire family was detained at the airport for 7 hours. They were separated, their bags were searched and their money and passports were taken. The money was their savings for Khaled’s medical treatment.
-This was traumatic for the children, who have suffered blow after blow since their father was detained in 2013. They are extremely exhausted and distressed by the situation.
- Khaled is a permanent resident of Canada and Sarah and their children are Canadian citizens. Canada must advocate for them. Please work as hard as you can to assist them with a safe and immediate return to Canada.