LISTEN TO KHALED
Khaled has on several occasions supported implementation of human rights laws and observing implementation of international human rights conventions (Starting at the 64:00 mark at the link above).
As a public servant, Khaled proposed to the Egyptian government to honour international treaties signed by previous governments and to maintain balanced relationships with Europe and the USA. He also advocated for women and Christians to run for office (including the presidency) and acknowledged women as equal partners in carrying the country’s responsibility.
On several occasions, Khaled has spoken on the need for Egypt to achieve democratic values and to use the exercise of achieving them as a means for reconciling the different political parties in the country.
Speaking at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Khaled asked for help from the international community to help Egyptians in achieving democratic values. He wanted to find common ground with all Egyptian parties (including the minorities, as well as political rivals) to prepare a constitution (Starting at the link above at time index 6:20).
LIMITS OF POWER
Khaled was involved in drafting an NGO-related legislation in early 2013 with the following principle: The executive branch should not be the arbiter of any alleged violations of the law by civil society organizations and the executive simply does not have the power to ban organizations or stop their work without due process.
Read Khaled's argument here.
Human Rights Work
The following work was directly lead by Khaled Al-Qazzaz during his term in the Presidential Office
Objectives of the Human Rights Portfolio
1. To evaluate the current situation of human rights in Egypt.
2. Propose a long term strategy to create a rights environment among the institutions and individuals.
3. Propose revisions and amendments to laws that are not compatible with human rights.
- Created a coordinator for human rights position in the presidential office for the first time in Egyptian history.
- Sent a call for rights organizations to send their amendments on the articles of the constitution to be adopted by the presidency
- Proposed the NGO draft law which was based upon creating a free and encouraging environment for NGOs
- Invited human rights organizations into the Presidential Office
Women's Empowerment Work
Objectives of the Women’s Empowerment Portfolio
1. To evaluate the current situation of women’s rights in Egypt.
2. Propose a long term strategy to develop opportunities for women and creating a model for social justice and empowerment for women in Egypt.
- Held more than 20 hearing sessions with different women organizations (national and international)
- Launched the Egyptian initiative for ensuring women rights hosted by the Presidency which held many workshops with all stakeholders to formulate the national plan for women rights.
- Had began the process to open a UN Women's Office in Egypt